Salvos Housing is the housing provider for The Salvation Army operating in Queensland, New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory. We work closely with the programs and services of The Salvation Army with a goal of transforming lives and seeking to assist people to gain freedom.
The Salvation Army has a long standing role in the community as a provider of services to those in need. The provision of services to the homelessness has been a core service of The Salvation Army.
Over the years, we have sought to transform the way we service this need, away from large complexes to a community-based accommodation model, with services to assist clients to regain their independence and, in time, move into mainstream housing.
Salvos Housing is committed to assist individuals experiencing social disadvantage and to establish and maintain safe, affordable, secure tenancies through the management of a range of high quality housing options.
Salvos Housing principles reflect the mission values of The Salvation Army:
- Caring for People
Being there when people need us most
We offer care and compassion as a sacred encounter with transformative potential
- Creating faith pathways
Taking a holistic approach to the human condition that values spirituality
We graciously share the Good News of Jesus and grow in faith together
- Building healthy communities
Investing ourselves in relationships that promote mutual flourishing.
We find the wholeness God intends for us in community.
- Working for justice
Tackling the social systems that harm creation and strip away human dignity.
We join God’s work to build a fairer world where all can thrive.
Being honest and accountable in all we do
Hearing and responding to pain with love
Affirming the worth and capacity of all people
Embracing difference as a gift
Creating partnerships in mission
- Our Commitment
We commit ourselves in prayer and practice to this land of Australia and its people, seeking reconciliation, unity and equity.
- work closely with The Salvation Army homelessness and other programs to endeavour to provide appropriate accommodation for ourclients.
- seek to gain access to, control and manage properties for
- crisis housing,
- transitional/supportive housing,
- affordable housing and
- social housing
in areas of need where TSA is working and can provide appropriate levels of support.
- work with all partner organisations to bring about sustainable long term tenant benefits by ensuring that tenants are located near and are introduced to supportive communities and services.
- develop financial independence which facilitates sustainable long term company growth.
- implement innovative funding arrangements to gain access to a greater number of housing units without putting either the member, the company, or the tenants at risk.
- participate with governments in the development and implementation of policies intended to relieve homelessness and housing stress.
- grow our affordable housing stock each year.